ウィザードリィ “Wizardry” (1988) is a tabletop RPG box set published by ASCII Corporation, who had earlier localized the computer game ” Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord” for the Japanese market, releasing a popular port for the Famicon in 1987. The pen-and-paper version of the game was developed by Group SNE and Yohei Sawaki is credited as the designer.
The pen-and-paper game is a faithful adaption of the computer game. The playable races are human, elf, dwarf, gnome, and hobbit and the classes are fighter, mage, priest, thief, samurai, lord, ninja, and bishop. Characters have HP and AC and they advanced starting at first level. When a character attacks, the player rolls percentile dice to see if a hit is made. The ability scores are strength, IQ, piety, vitality, agility, and luck. The 1st level mage spells are “dunapic” which gives the caster’s coordinates and depth underground, “halito”, a 1d8 damage fireball, “katino”, a sleep spell, and “mogref” which lowers caster’s AC by 2.
• basic rulebook, A4 saddle-stitched 76 pp.
• “Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord” scenario book, A4 saddle-stitched 32 pp.
• “Bride of the Black Crystal” booklet, A4 saddle-stitched 16 pp.
• “Sponsored by Voltac” booklet, A4 saddle-stitched 12 pp.
• fighting sheet, card stock A3 folded
• 2 player mats, A3 folded
• master mat, A3 folded
• monster sheet, cardstock A4
• 2 fighting sheets, card stock A4
• “use of a Wizardry scenario” sheet, A4
• 6 character sheets, A4
• 2 graph paper sheets, A3 folded
• dice: 2d20, 1d8, 2d6